I was inspired by a 50's postcard from Florida that I have in my collection which features a flock of flamingos...
I wanted my card to reflect the colors of the vintage postcard, and the "tacky-chic" of the iconic pink flamingo lawn decor.
The colors were achieved with distressed cardstocks from Bo Bunny and by filling in the stamped designs using a watercolor technique with ColorBox Premium Dye Inks.
The designs were all stamped on Chiffon Double Dot Cardstock, which added some color variations and depth to the watercolored images.
The watercolor technique is easy to do, just tap some ink on a disposable foam plate, then dip a beauty swab into a bit of water. Use the beauty swab to mix a bit of water with the ink and you are ready to paint! Use less water for more intense color and more for lighter shades. And add some shading if you like to enhance your design.
Here are some close-ups of some of the watercolored stamped images...
- Clearsnap ColorBox Premium Dye Ink: Kettle, Party Pink and Jalapeno
- Stephanie Barnard ColorBox Premium Dye Ink: Bubblegum, Pumpkin, Banana, Tangerine and Cornflower
- Hampton Art: Tropical Travelogue Cling Set 2
- Bo Bunny: Double Dot: Chiffon Dot, Vintage Dot: Ocean Vintage and Pink Punch Vintage, Flourish Dot: Licorice and Jewels: Alora and On the Go
- The Twinery: Lemondrop Baker's Twine
- Beacon Adhesives: Zip Dry
- Trimmer, Scissors, Foam Plate and Beauty Swabs